Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100


First, a little backstory: Like two weeks ago, I did not know I needed this phone ... had not even thought of. I was quite happy with my GSM Galaxy Nexus. Of course, my screen PenTile grid GN had this "quality", but it ran stock Android with aplomb. Then, on a whim, I bought the Nexus 7. I was quickly seduced by his screen - both size and quality. Android really shines once it is released form factor-5 inches of most phones. I started using my
N7 for almost all my needs of mobile devices - content consumption / creation, e-mail, SMS (look up in the store Tablet Talk Play) - the only function that has unable to perform called. I joked to my friends that if the N7 were a little smaller and I could not insert a SIM card, I use it as my primary mobile device. Whenever I had to use my old beloved Galaxy Nexus, I was disappointed by the experience - the operating system I felt limited by the small form factor.
So after a week of being spoiled with the screen size of the Nexus 7, I knew I wanted a phone to match, hence my purchase of the Galaxy Note II.
Now, on the advantages and disadvantages mandatory:
PROS- Screen size: If you read my intro, I hope you understand the main reason for my purchase of this phone. After experiencing Apps on the N7 more shielded, I could not feel compelled OS on my Galaxy Nexus. The Note II solved this problem. The screen size is perfect - 5.5 "is really the way a modern mobile, multi-tasking OS should be experienced.
- Quality of the screen: Long story short, it is not PenTile, which is a good thing. If you have studied, you would know he has a little funk RGB set-up, but the bottom line: I can not say the set-up is quite different from that of a standard RGB monitor. You'll like - no, you'll love it. Colors pop, and I can not see the pixels. It is clearly on par with the screen is that I personally could never compare to: iPhone 4/4S gold standard.
- Multi-window multi-tasking: Awesome. Basically, Samsung lets you divide the screen windows Note II in two, so that you can have two applications running simultaneously on the screen. For example, you might have a window on top with YouTube open, with one on the bottom for GMail. I have found over the last few days that my use case tends to be: upper window, Chrome, lower window, messaging. This allows me to surf the web while quickly responding to texts. Unfortunately, not all applications support multi-window functionality (I'd love to find a RSS reader that does, training and support would be great). Facebook and Twitter support multi-window, just like the aforementioned chrome and some other applications. Incidentally, I was a little disappointed when I received my first Note II and discovered that he was running older firmware that do not support the multi-window seen in the videos. Two days later, however, I received an OTA update is active.
- Touchwiz: I was worried when I ordered the II Note that I'd soon tire of Touchwiz version of Samsung Android skin, especially after performing stocks Jelly Bean on both the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. Curiously, I thought it was really nice, with many settings that facilitate better interaction device. Stay Smart stands - you can turn the device so that the display remains lit if it detects that you look at it (it uses the front camera). Switches in the notification bar are very useful - I can quickly enable / disable Bluetooth, Wifi, etc., in the shadow of notification. I'' ve found I started to use the lock mode as well - for this, I can close the notifications during the night, but allow a select group of contacts to replace the block and still reach me.
- Power: The Note II * cries *. It handles multi-window mode as a champion, takes pictures quickly, installs applications almost instantly through cycles like homescreens (draft) butter.
- S-Pen Note II includes a stylus. Even if it is not even close to be the main reason I bought the device, I found little use for it. I downloaded Sketchbook Mobile doodle (although evil, but because of my horrible artistic skills, not because of the effectiveness of the stylus), I scribbled some notes, etc. In fact, I found it quite suitable for ink (Note II transcribes your handwriting into typed format). It is also incredibly quick to draw letters on the keyboard Samsung included "Swype" ish.
Battery - After reading the first accounts of battery life on a good portion of online reviews, I was cautiously optimistic that this would be the case with the device, especially with the 3100 mAh battery. I can tell you that it is, in fact, at times the battery life is outstanding. I know some people will give you stories about how their phones last three days in average use, but I've always believed that "On Screen" is the best indicator of the performance of the battery. Using this metric (which you can find in the setup menu), the II gives me the note anywhere between 7 and 10 hours of screen time. This is absolutely fantastic for any smartphone size, especially one that is essentially a mini-tablet.
- Charging the Battery: Samsung smartphones (at least the ones I owned) have notoriously load very slowly. The Note II is, fortunately, not cursed with that. At the time I write this review, it was on the charger for a little less than an hour. It is charged to 40% at the moment. My Galaxy Nexus charged at a rate of approximately 25-30% of an hour, which is deplorable. The Note II has a much larger battery than the GN, it is charging performance is surprisingly good.
- Physical Home Button: I like having a physical key to the house to wake the device. I know it does not sound like a big deal, but it is much easier to find the home button on the top of the device to find the key to power on the small side. * Pro-Tip *: Uncheck "Open with home button" in the settings of the voice. This will eliminate the lag between pressing the Home button and back navigation for the action of the Home screen. If it is checked, there will be a slight delay between pressing the home button and return to the home screen (the operating system is waiting for a second press on the home button to activate Voice S ). Of course, if you like the voice S (I personally do not), you can leave this enabled.
- Pocketability: It fits in my pocket without any problem, but just a guy who can adapt to the Nexus 7 in his khaki dress and cargo shorts. I'm a little on the high side (6 '2 "), so I'm sure that helps.
- Camera: Tons of settings with the software of the onboard camera. Create beautiful photos. I am not a professional photographer, but it is clearly iPhone 4S + quality and much better than the shooter on the Galaxy Nexus.
- President: MUCH stronger than the Galaxy Nexus. I really can not hear my phone when it rings - hurray!
- Notification LED: Once you have a phone with this, you can not live without it.
(Updated 9/10/12) - Samsung Keyboard pictures: It is very good, and I'm using it as my default input method. I prefer this number is a dedicated line above the letter keys. In addition, he has "Swype"-like functionality. I do not know if Samsung white label Swype or simply built their own, but it is accurate.
(Updated 10/17/12) - Lack of Control Carrier: I overlooked in my initial review, but I think it is important to note that updates the international rating II are directly controlled by Samsung. There is no interference in the carrier update software. I was reminded of this today when I read that international mechanisms Galaxy S3 is now updated Jelly Bean, all bears the U.S. versions will not see for months.
*********
CONS (this will be short)- Size of one hand: Sometimes you need to use both hands to use, much more than you would any other phone on the market today. My hands are bigger than average, and I still use both hands regularly. If two hands bothers you a little, do not buy it.
- Support App complementary multi-window (see under SIRP): It would be great if ALL applications can run under the multi-windows - it is very useful.
- Small inconsistencies with Touchwiz: Nothing serious, just problems here and there. For example, you can create notes (mainly drawing) on ​​the monthly calendar with the S-Pen (ideal for visually appeal to a rendezvous important), but if you add the calendar widget to the home screen , from your notes will not be displayed on the widget.
- Lack of multitasking Dedicated key: My Galaxy Nexus has a dedicated button for the task switcher. For II Note, you must press and hold the Home button to display the task switcher.
(Updated 9/10/12) - capacitive navigation buttons do not remain illuminated: the two capacitive buttons (Menu and Back) does not remain illuminated during use of the device, and once they are gone, they can not be considered (there is no visible burning). This adds a learning curve necessary to rule your muscle memory where each key is. Also, I prefer the Back button on the left side of the device (it is located on the right) - it would be more intuitive / logical position to the left of the Home key. (Updated 19/11/12) You can turn the navigation buttons remain illuminated. JA Smithers as noted in the comments on 19/11/12, go to Settings -> Display -> duration of the light touch -> (choose "Always on" and they turn off when you put all the off screen, ie standby mode).
*********
TL, DR: This is a great phone - if you like Android, it's probably the best phone available now. As having to use both hands sometimes not bothering you, get it.
*********
As an FYI, I'm running this phone on Straight Talk and still get download speeds in the range 7mb/sec. I'll try to update I keep getting settled into the phone. Do not hesitate to ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment